Applying for a Dutch passport outside the Netherlands –

Applying for a Dutch passport outside the Netherlands –

Trong bài viết này chúng tôi sẽ giúp các bạn tìm hiểu thông tin và kiến thức về Apply for dutch passport in australia hot nhất hiện nay được bình chọn bởi người dùng

Why do I need a passport or identity card?

A passport or identity card is official proof of your identity. A passport is also a valid travel document for anywhere in the world and may be stamped with visas for certain countries. An identity card issued is primarily an identity document but it also allows Dutch citizens to travel between European Union (EU) Member States and a number of other European countries.

Where can I apply for a new passport or identity card?

As a Dutch citizen, you can apply for a passport or identity card at most Dutch embassies and some consulates outside the Netherlands. You need to make an appointment first. More information about appointments and opening times can be found on the individual websites of diplomatic missions outside the Netherlands.

You can apply for an emergency passport or laissez-passer at any Dutch consular diplomatic mission outside the Netherlands (embassies, consulates-general or honorary consulates).

What documents do I need to take with me?

To apply for a new travel document, you must go to the embassy or consulate in person so that your identity can be checked. The same applies to your children. You must take a completed and signed application form with you and a recent photograph which is a true likeness.

You must also be able to prove that you hold Dutch citizenship. If there is any doubt about your citizenship, the embassy or consulate staff will be unable to issue the document you need. If you have a Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number) and your current travel document was issued by a Dutch diplomatic mission abroad, the BSN will be quoted in the official correspondence you received. In addition, you should also hand over all your Dutch and foreign travel documents for inspection.

To find out which other documents you need, please consult the website of the embassy or consulate where you intend to apply for a passport.

Collecting a new passport or identity card

New passports and identity cards are produced in the Netherlands and sent to the embassy or consulate where you have applied. Consequently, processing your application may take several weeks.

The embassy or consulate will let you know when you can come and collect your new passport or identity card. You should do this in person unless there are special reasons why you cannot reasonably be expected to do so, for instance because of the travel distance or because you have impaired mobility. In that case, the new passport or identity card may be sent to your address. However, you should agree this when you submit your application. The arrangement applies only on condition that the postal services are reliable and safe, and is entirely at your own risk and cost.

Reporting a lost passport and getting an emergency travel document

If you lose your passport or identity card outside the Netherlands, you must immediately inform the local police to prevent anyone else using the document illegally. You should also apply as soon as possible to the Dutch embassy or consulate for a replacement.

In the meantime, the embassy or consulate may issue an emergency travel document for you – either an emergency passport or a laissez-passer. An emergency passport will only be issued if you can prove that your situation is an emergency.

As a rule, you can only apply for an emergency document during office hours. An emergency travel document is only valid for the journey for which it has been issued.

These rules also apply to children. The issue of an emergency travel document to a child under 18 requires the consent of the person(s) who have parental responsibility over the child.

The procedure for obtaining an emergency travel document may take several days.

For more information, please contact the Dutch embassy or consulate in the country where you are staying. Alternatively, get in touch with the helpdesk at the Emergency Documents Office at Schiphol Airport. The helpdesk is open 24 hours a day and can be reached via telephone number +31(0)20 603 8692.

Applying for a passport in the Netherlands

Alternatively, Dutch citizens living outside the Netherlands can apply for new travel documents from the following grensgemeenten (border municipalities) in the Netherlands:

  • Bergen op Zoom;
  • Bergeijk;
  • Breda;
  • Den Haag (The Hague);
  • Echt-Susteren;
  • Enschede;
  • Maastricht;
  • Montferland;
  • Oldambt;
  • Sluis;
  • Venlo.

Applying for a passport or ID card at Schiphol Airport

You can also apply for a passport or ID card at the Haarlemmermeer municipal desk at Schiphol Airport, located in Arrival Hall 2 (by appointment only). The desk has extended opening hours.

Making an appointment online for the muncipal service desk at Schiphol Airport

If you want to apply for a passport or identity card at Schiphol Airport, make an appointment on the Haarlemmermeer municipality website.

When your document is ready, you can make another appointment to pick it up from the desk in person. If you are a Dutch citizen living outside the Netherlands, you can also have your document delivered to an address in the Netherlands where you are staying during your visit. Documents can only be delivered within the Netherlands (no deliveries are made to the Frisian Islands).

Validity of passports and identity cards

Passports and identity cards are valid for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children under 18.

Do you hold citizenship of another country besides the Netherlands? If so, you could risk losing your Dutch citizenshipif you do not apply for a new Dutch passport or identity card or a Dutch citizenship certificate before the validity period (10 years) expires.


The fee you pay is for processing your application so it is non-refundable, even if you turn out not to be eligible for a Dutch passport.

Fees in 2023 for travel documents and identity cards at Dutch missions outside the Netherlands Type of travel document Fee Passport (adult) € 148,50 Passport (child, i.e. under 18) € 129,45 Identity card (adult) € 147,30 Identity card (child, i.e. under 18) € 113,15 0mergency passport/laissez-passer € 52,95

Alternatively, Dutch citizens living outside the Netherlands can apply for new travel documents at the municipal offices of certain towns and cities in the Netherlands (see above). These charge lower fees for passports and identity cards than the Dutch missions outside the Netherlands. This is mainly due to benefits of scale enjoyed by these municipalities, which, on average, issue many more travel documents than the missions outside the Netherlands. Here too, the new fees are intended to cover the costs involved.

Type of travel document Fee Passport (adult) € 117,39 Passport (child, i.e. under 18) € 98,41 Identity card (adult) € 113,23 Identity card (child, i.e. under 18) € 80,82

Children must have their own passport

All children must have their own passport or identity card: they may no longer be registered in their parents’ travel documents. The fingerprints of children under 12 are not registered in their own passport. A child must also be present in person when collecting a new passport from the embassy or consulate, so that their identity can be established. The accompanying parent or guardian should also bring two identical passport photos which are a true likeness of the child and meet the official passport photo requirements.

Both of the child’s parents/guardians must sign the passport application. Further requirements regarding applications for children can be found on the website of the relevant consulate or embassy. Do not hesitate to contact them if you have any questions.

Dutch passports and citizenship

In order to obtain a Dutch passport you must be able to prove that you hold Dutch citizenship. In certain cases, you could lose your Dutch citizenship if you do not apply for a new passport or Dutch citizenship certificate before the validity period of your current one runs out.

Your BSN must be noted in your passport

It is compulsory for a new passport to contain the holder’s Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number) if the holder has one, so you will be asked for this number when you submit your application. The BSN normally appears on all official government correspondence to you.

The issuing authority is the Minister of Foreign Affairs

The personal details page of your passport indicates that that it was issued by authority of the Minister van Buitenlandse Zaken (Minister of Foreign Affairs). An issuing authority can read the passport’s chip to find out where it was issued.

Similar Posts